Tuesday, March 1, 2011


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at The Broke and The Bookish.  Each week we get a new theme to test our reading and list-making skills.  This week the theme is "Top Ten books you HAD to buy, but still haven't read."  Ouch.  Yeah, I have plenty of those.  So here we go, in no particular order.

1.  Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke--I bought it the week it debuted, and have read about 150 pages of it.  Essentially I think it's just so darn uncomfortable to read, being such a huge tome and not having one of those "all action all the time" plots.  But I still plan on finishing it--THIS year!

2.  The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark--I waited patiently until this one came out in paperback, snapped it up.....and haven't even read the opening paragraph.


3.  Tales of a Scottish Grandfather by Walter Scott--I've read bits and bobs, but I really need to just sit down and really get enmeshed.  

4.  Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel--by everyone's description, this should be right up my alley.  And I WANT to read it.  I just stalled out at page 78.

5.  Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman--Quinn, I'm looking at you.  This one is your fault.

6.  His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman--I read the Golden Compass and then got distracted applying to grad school, but I want to finish.

7.  Howard's End by E.M. Forster--I had said I was not going to read this one, but I've changed my mind, and now I want to, so I've bought a copy, but haven't had the fortitude yet.

8.  The Book of Light and Shadows by Michael Gruber--This is bad.  It's been so long since I bought the book that I don't really remember what "spoke" to me about it.

9.  The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox--One of the best opening sentences ever.  I was hooked, but then I had about a million essays to grade and a few of my own to write.

10.  A Well Wrought Urn by Cleanth Brooks--A classic of lit crit from one of the critics who re-popularized John Donne.  At some point during the dissertation, I'll HAVE to read this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY