|
|---|
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
I grabbed this from Bev over at My Reader's Block. She says it's been going around Facebook, but I don't have an account, so I seem to have missed it.
*Don't take too long to think about it.
*List fifteen authors (poets included) who've influenced you or who stick with you.
*Select the first fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. No particular order required.
*List fifteen authors (poets included) who've influenced you or who stick with you.
*Select the first fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. No particular order required.
Shakespeare--The English Master. What more is there to say?
Donne--Subject of my dissertation. Crams passion/pathos and logos into every line
Milton--I would not want to have him over for dinner, but Paradise Lost and Areopagitica are works of absolute brilliance
Anna Quindlen--I dearly wish I'd written Imagined London because it's just perfect
Agatha Christie--Ever since I was young, I've been reading and re-reading Christie. Genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle--See above. And especially with the new BBC Sherlock. Guh.
C.S. Lewis--The first Lewis I read was The Discarded Image about the medieval and Renaissance worldview. Then I read the Chronicles. He is so clear while being academically smart. I long to write like that.
J.K. Rowling--Harry Potter has been a big part of my life, and I have met many friends through fandom.
Umberto Eco--The Name of the Rose and The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana are both masterpieces of fiction. And he writes criticism as well.
Anne Fadiman--Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader is inspiring and fun. Fadiman has a wonderful relationship to books--one that started young and continues unabated.
Carolyn See--To be fair, I've only read Making a Literary Life, but it has definitely stuck with me. I highly recommend this book.
Edward Albee--Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? has some sort of strange hold over me.
Bronte(s)--Cheating here because I'm counting Charlotte and Emily as one, but I just can't choose between Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights
Kazuo Ishiguro--The Remains of the Day may very well be the perfect English novel. I *sobbed* through the last 50 or so pages. Quiet tragedy.
William Faulkner--I grew up about 3 hours from Oxford, MS, where Faulkner wrote. His novels have always felt strangely like home.
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















