Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Murder at the Vicarage


Murder at the Vicarage
by Agatha Christie

WOW!  This book completes the goal I set for the Marple, Poirot, Holmes Challenge!  I'm sure I'll be reading/watching more Agatha Christie, though, and listening to/reading more Holmes.

Murder at the Vicarage is the first of the Miss Marple books.  I've seen both the Joan Hickson and the Geraldine McEwan film versions of the story, and it surprised me a bit that the book is narrated from the vicar's point of view.  I'm not sure why this should have surprised me so much.  After all, Christie regularly defers her detective's entrance until well into the text (I'm thinking here of Sleeping Murder and The Hollow).  Still, I suppose I expected the story to originate with Miss Marple in the way that At Bertram's Hotel does.  Perhaps I just expected that because the films follow her character so closely.  This is not a complaint about the story, though.  In fact, the vicar is a wonderful narrative character.  We get to see his struggles with anger and jealously as well as getting his "outside" perspective on Miss Marple.

I was quite surprised in a less pleasant way, though, at the Griselda character in the novel.  I know the life of a vicar's wife has to be utterly trying, but she seems a bit dismissive of parish problems.  Ah well, she's a relatively minor character anyway so it doesn't matter.

The plot was intricately and beautifully planned, with enough evidence to create serious though, but not enough to cause downright confusion.  I am consistently torn when watching the newer versions of the Miss Marple films, but I think the Geraldine McEwan version of Murder at the Vicarage may actually be superior to the Joan Hickson.  I can't help thinking that Janet McTeer is ideal as Anne Protheroe, and Derek Jacobi as Colonel Protheroe also strikes just the right note.  Their portrayal of these characters is almost exactly what I had in mind while reading.

One final note I would make is not to purchase the copy represented in the picture above.  That is the copy I have and I've found several mis-prints.

Sorry this has been rather a rambly review.  Unfortunately, I'm trying to accomplish far too many things at once today.  :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY